West Sound Paranormal would like to hear if you’ve had a paranormal experience here or if you have any additional information about this location, please leave a comment below.
Today’s Sumpter Bed and Breakfast was originally the Sumpter General hospital. It was built in 1899 by James Stoddard. James and his wife Esther owned the local wood mill. The hospital opened in 1900 in the booming mining town of Sumpter, Oregon. It remained a hospital until a devastating fire burnt down most of the town in 1917. This building was one of the few buildings that remained. The fire spread quickly due to the wooden sidewalks and wooden roads.
After the hospital closed it became a brothel and a Masonic temple until 1973. It is now the Sumpter Bed & Breakfast. It’s been featured on Ghost Mines and The Dead Files due to the reported paranormal activity. afterward, Jay and Barbara had the bed and breakfast blessed, and cleansed by a Reiki master.
Reports of loud bangs, pictures falling off the wall. Shoes and eyeglasses are being moved. Lights and TV’s going off and on, Bed shaking violently. Visitors feel heavy depression, their energy being drained. This place is referred to as the “Feeding Ground” because the spirits like to feed on the energy of the living. There are several spirits here. for example,
- Spirit of James Stoddard (Died in 1925 at the age of 68 with Dementia),
- Spirit of a miner named Fred Kane, who suffered from a brain injury after being kicked in the head by a horse at the gold mine. Fred fired his rifle, the bullet went through his stepdaughter Ruth, killing her instantly and wounded his wife Naomi. Fred died at the hospital after shooting himself in the chest.
- Spirit of Naomi, (Fred’s wife) mourns the loss of her daughter Ruth.
- Spirit of 5 women, one acts like the leader of the others. Dressed in black, they feed off the energy of the guests.
- Spirits of Miners who died horrible deaths from cave-ins and explosives at the Gold mines.
- Spirits of women who had miscarriages.
- Some are crawling in bed with guests in room 6.
Be sure to check out the Photo Gallery below for some amazing pictures.